SynchroGrid is a consulting firm for electric utilities that specializes in system protection, providing the exceptional level of talent, experience, and innovation necessary to enhance the reliability of the power system.
By focusing on system protection, we are able to provide our clients with the level of detail and knowledge necessary to accommodate their needs. Our services include the following:
Transmission and distribution line design
Relay settings and relay coordination studies
Relay mis-operation analysis
NERC compliance for PRC-001 – PRC-027 standards
Founder and Protection Engineer
Joe Perez is a registered professional electrical engineer in the state of Texas. Joe has in-depth experience in power system protection settings and design from the manufacturer and utility perspectives. He has written papers for major relay conferences in the U.S. and many application notes and testing procedures for relay manufacturers and utilities. Joe is the co-creator of a transformer rating software.
Joe Perez established SynchroGrid to provide electric utilities with power system protection applications, analysis, and training. Joe has provided services to relay manufacturers, utilities, and oil and gas companies.
SynchroGrid’s services include, but are not limited to, relay protection scheme design, relay coordination studies, microprocessor relay settings, relay mis-operations analysis, NERC standard compliance for system protection, relay testing, relay standard development, power flow and contingency analysis, and loadability studies of transmission lines and transformers.
Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, 2003
Joe has published several technical, white, and application papers. A few are listed below:
• “Analysis of a Flashover Operation on Two 138kV Transmission Lines,” 2014.
• “Preventing Transformer Mis-Operations during External Faults,” 2014.
• “Three Terminal Application of Distance and Current Differential Relays,” 2013.
• “Loadability Limits of Distance Relays,” 2011.
• “Fundamentals of Transformer Thermal Aspects and Protection,” 2009.
• “A Guide to Digital Fault Analysis,” 2009.
Memberships and Committees
• Member of the IEEE PSRC Power System Relaying Committee: IEEE Reclosing Standard.
• Member of IEEE.